Friday 31 August 2007

Out of Season


Autumn is coming. I can feel it with the nights becoming chilly, and there is a quality of the air that comes with the cold mornings that makes me very happy. The fruits are ripe, and falling off the trees, hitting the ground with a thump. People are talking about a mushroom that grows on the hills about this time of the year. Firewood is being collected, cut and stored. The sheep will come from the mountains in a few weeks, and the cows will be back at home soon too. I like this colour of sky, just before night has fallen entirely. Does it remind me of northern skies? I was also reminded of a line in a song ‘clouds are stalking islands in the sky, I wish I could buy one, out of season’. My memory might have failed me though! It occurred to me that fieldwork does not last forever.

1 comment:

Aaron Manton said...

...but don't, oh no no, hesitaaaaaaaate!