Monday 5 November 2007

Absence, of Myself, from Myself, from the World

This week it has been hard to justify, even to myself, im stillen Kämmerlein, what the use of anthropology is, and what its methodological advantages, if any, are, in relation to a project like mine. I find it hard to see what I should be doing for the little time I have got left on the field, and I find it enormously difficult to face people in this state of being. I alternate between hitting the wall with my head to think clearly, and giving up, watching films I never wanted to see. Part of me just wants to hibernate, preferably until 2009. Another part just wants to live, in the here and now, and not always think, oh need to remember this as it happens, to write it down. The PhD gets in the way of living, for now.
All this is enormously destabilising, and makes me bite my nails and curse my consequential re-fledgling shyness. It feels like social life around me has no interest at all, goes (more than ever) into all directions. What is worse, it cannot capture my being, for the moment. Life-as-lived-here would need to ‘get to me’, but I feel my brain is woolly, I am more passive than I’d like to, I cannot seem to find the questions that would need to be voiced. I avoid. I hate my phone. I stare at the page, and forget to note down millions of things. I do not understand my scribbles. I am unsure about what words I need to use in English to express what I mean. I wonder about things that I cannot solve here and now, theoretical framework, structure of argument, number of chapters. I cannot take in what happens. I fail to discern the events that matter. Consequently, there is little eventfulness, of consequence, on the surface. My daydreams tell me otherwise, but when I rush to note it down, it is gone. I feel under- and overstimulated simultaneously.
I went to the mountains to get my concentration back. To think in the quiet, with only the fire and the wind rustling my thoughts. I walked and the regular pace of the steps eased my breathing. I even felt happy. On return I found, however, that my focus was still gone, and that I wanted to do anything but attend to the confusion. I told David that I was becoming world class at procrastination, then I went to my neighbour and broke down crying for no real reason in the middle of a conversation. As a consequence I felt ashamed of my own weakness, and my obsession to emulate no less than a supergirl, and the way in which les tout petits soucis seemed, at that moment, life-threatening. Who can I tell here, without shame of my own privilege, my position, my self-imposed project of little importance?
Neither has there been an obvious, event-like reason for this ‘wholesale’ questioning. If I try to give it some perspective: it is true that something like it has accompanied me for the entirety of the PhD project, but it peaks at certain times. Why now is a difficult question, and to be quite frank, I have no idea. Again I can feel myself being much less of an actor than I want to be, much more a product of personal history, enriched by circumstances, moods of season, acts of bacteria and exposure to northern breeze. I read somewhere that postgrads have stress levels similar to soldiers in battle, which I find entirely plausible. I shall learn to manage them better. I find we should have gotten some proper training for this, not just classroom-based, but practical. Furthermore, I think lone anthropology should be abolished. It would be much better to have teams of people, I think the dynamics (of all kinds) would be much better both for the project and the researchers involved, especially beginners.

Stress
ORIGIN Middle English (denoting hardship or force exerted on a person for the purpose of compulsion): shortening of distress , or partly from Old French estresse ‘narrowness, oppression,’ based on Latin strictus ‘drawn tight’ (see strict )

3 comments:

Mecha said...

You might feel like this now, because you soon need to put an end to it? You feel may be like this, because the more one's knows, the hardest it is to KNOW. (in a scientific way) May be.

Quant à moi, la thèse migre de plus en plus aux marges de mon existence. Et c'est pas bon...ça ne se fera pas tout seul. J'y travaille, mais c'est plus pro forma, parce que c'est mon boulot. C'est que je pars un mois en Afrique, je pense que ça joue, je prends mes distances... Mais en janvier, je me relance dedans.

Je t'envoie plein de jolies feuilles automnales de Belgique.

Anonymous said...

c'est pas gagne le phd. des fois c'est un peu trop personnel. mais cela passe toujours. je connais le pro forma, on ne sait plus, apres un certain temps pourquoi on le fait, mais c'est devenu un boulot comme un autre. un autre temps, c'est tout a fait autre chose.
ah, partir. j'espere te voir en tout cas en janvier, avant de partir vers mon ile un peu pluvieuse... ;o) tout le meilleur du monde pour le voyage et retrouver le gout de la these.

merci pour les feuilles, ici c'est plutot la neige et la glace qui regnent pour le moment. c'est vraiment beau.

cecil said...

Versteh dich so gut. Fast genau so hätte es aus meinem Mund kommen können!! Ich wünsch dir ganz viel Kraft. Nimmer dir genügend freie Zeit, am besten irgendwo wo Du nicht Leute, Events um dich hast, die irgendwie "auch" wichtig für die Feldforschung sein könnten. So dass du wirklich abschalten kannst. Wanderungen in die Berge klingen gut.
Freu mich, wenn Du wieder in Aberdeen bist!