Sunday 21 October 2007

Burden

I am still, every day, absolutely humbled by people’s generosity. I have accumulated so many debts that I better find a way to deal with the obligation incurred. But how? Those people chose to help me, even though I was and remain a stranger, they decided to include me in their activities, some of them gave me time to ask them all kinds of silly questions even though they had no direct gains from this, and, God knows, they have better, and more necessary, things to do everyday. They patiently listened to my pseudo-Romanian babble, and tried hard to understand what on earth I wanted to say. They forgave my rashness and a certain note of insistence in my voice when I forgot how little importance my project held for them. They recognised much better than I did when it was time to stop working, lest I lose my sanity. They took me to the mountains, they drank tea with me. They circulated rumours about me so I should not forget certain things about people. They gave me apples, cheese, lifts, and all kinds of other things, material and otherwise. What did I give back?
Some of them are in a precarious livelihood situation, some of them have no real other option than to emigrate. I am of precious little help to them in this regard. Questions of relevance of my work arise (again).
I find it very hard to deal with the duplicity involved in social research. People do all kinds of things with all kinds of interests. Me most of all. I better put the stuff I learnt to good use and honour the friendship I was given.

2 comments:

Mecha said...

Tu exprimes si bien ce que je ressens aussi, à un degré moindre, face aux gens que je rencontre pour ma recherche. C'est parce que je ne suis pas en immersion dans un autre monde comme toi tu l'es, que leur aide est (un peu) moins existentielle pour moi. Mais je connais cette impression d'avoir une dette envers eux.

Je me suis permise de mettre un lien vers ce post sur mon blog...

A bientôt, chère nutshell-kit!

cecil said...

Ja schwierig die Frage, was wir zurückgeben. Hab ich mir auch 1000 mal gestellt. Und bin mit meinen eigenen, "gespaltenen" Interessen an den Freunschaften auch zuweilen nicht klar gekommen. Auf der anderen Seite war ich ja immer ehrlich. Auch wenn viele Freunde und auch meine engsten Familien zT. dort den Hintergrund meines Aufenthalts, die ethnologische "Forschung", nicht verstanden haben. Wenn ich gerne Zeit mit ihnen verbringe, "da bin", wird das einfach gewertschätzt (als "Lob" für sie selber sozusagen). Und meinem Eindruck zufolge war es vielen auch einfach egal wieso ich eigentlich da bin (bzw war). Hauptsache ich bringe ein bisschen Abwechslung ins Leben dort, wir alles haben Spaß.. Sie vertrauen mir, dass ich mit allem was ich gelernt habe in ihrem Sinne verfahre. Ich versuche also mich nach der lokalen Ethik zu verhalten, mit meinem Material. Gar nicht so einfach. V.a. weil ich nicht immer nachfragen kann, damit würde ich nur nerven und sie würden meine (doch so komischen, aus ihrere Sicht) Bedenken nicht verstehen.
Ja. Aber dennoch sind es einfach super gute Freundschaften, bin Teil von Familien. Und trotz dass ich dadurch viel für die Forschung gelernt habe, sind es doch in erster Linie die Freundschaften die mir wichtig sind. Alles andere steht hinten an. Ich muss auch nicht über alles schreiben (bzw. werde es sicher nicht). Aber über was ich dann nun schreibe im Endeffekt das ist wieder eine andere Frage. (Und mir mometan immer noch nicht wieder so ganz wichtig. Ein bissl erschreckend auch.)

PS Anmeldung erst nicht geklappt, sorry wenns ein Chaos gegeben hat