Wednesday 18 April 2007

nutshell pulling faces on fieldwork...


In random order:
a. attentive and quite interested in whoever is sitting across from me and/or what they are telling me

b. letting it all out: how can one single valley annoy me so much?

c. content and slightly amused by the thought of one old villager I met on the road and who told me a joke on his way to the fountain

d. upon discovering that an interview has been postponed or cancelled by the work of “higher forces”

e. smiling aggressively in a (more or less failed) attempt to be funny

f. mischievous and imagining all the things I feel like doing instead of walking around in a valley asking silly questions

g. worried to the point of exhaustion and/or having just heard an awful piece of news

h. a bit annoyed sitting across from some guy who is being racist, sexist or otherwise inappropriate, and not wanting to be shouting at him, because I should be professional… and I just grind my teeth, fiddle with my pen, say da-da, hm-mh, and my belly is full of anger

i. dreamily thinking of all the good, soothing, exciting, strange and beautiful things that have happened in my life: happy memories

j. enjoying the sun tickling my nose and being completely absorbed in mostly happy thoughts

k. trying to crack the latest anthropological or personal problem but actually getting side-tracked by trivialities, which already makes for more lightheartedness

l. appearing to be very sad, absolutely worthy of attention, and offering that look that hopefully will melt hearts, minds and, if need be, steel (Letzebuergesch: eng Schëpp = literally, a shovel, viz shape of the subject’s mouth)

m. something in my world has definitely caught my attention (speak to C.S. Peirce about this)

n. mocking and taking on a slightly superior stance and showing that what is inside is what counts

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it..absolutly love it.....miss ya my lovely nutshell!!!!Hope i will see that face once again....hehe..xxxx

Aaron Manton said...

I've seen quite a bit of 'e' in my day... (chortle)